Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Call


On August 29 th , I received a page and a call from the Transplant Co-ordinator at L.H.S. informing me that a donor liver was available and I should go to U.H. as soon as possible for preparation.

My reaction was that of joy and appreciation. Driving to the hospital a 1000 things came to mind about who I should speak to and what I should do prior to the transplant.


Once at U.H. I was admitted and started to experience emotion about the risk and the changes about to occur to me after the transplant . I was assigned to a bed and the prep began with wonderful staff . I became concerned for my family and what they were experiencing. The Transplant Coordinator was truly professional and I was comforted by her style and concern.


The necessary tests and paperwork began. My Transplant Coordinator was paged and returned to inform me that the Donor liver was not acceptable. She was reassuring and shared my disappointment but I understood that it had to be this way.


I continue to wait after waiting for three years on the list and thank God for every day.

JR

No comments: