Friday, October 26, 2007

Carrying the Torch

Carrying the torch for organ donation
The Truro Daily News

TRURO DAILY NEWS
TRURO – High school students took part this week in a national campaign to raise awareness for organ donations.
Step By Step founder George Marcello spoke to the students before they carried the torch from town hall to Cobequid Educational Centre.
“It’s got an awesome history,” he said, explaining how he carried the torch during his walk across the country in 2000 after receiving a liver transplant. “Halfway during my walk I received a call from Vatican City. At first I thought it was a prank... The next thing I knew I’m in front of the pope and I’m passing him this torch.”
Students Rose Fisher and Alex Visser-Waterman carried the torch to the school. Rose described it as a memorable experience.
“I felt so proud to be carrying this torch and supporting this cause,” she said.
Both decided at a young age to be organ donors.
“It’s a way to give people a second chance in life and I don’t see why anybody would pass up that opportunity,” Alex said.
One organ donor can save up to six lives while a single tissue donor can help up to 30 people.
To become a donor, fill out the form from Registration for Health Services or your Nova Scotia Health Care renewal. If your card is not due to be renewed, call the MSI office at 1-800-563-8880 and have them mail you the form.
For more information about the cross Canada walk, visit www.stepbystep.ca or sos4000.com.

26/10/07

No comments: